Wednesday, March 6, 2013

It's momma's birthday! Bring it on!

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count.  It's the life in your years".

Birthday's seem to come back around ever so quickly these days ... didn't I just have one?  I take it as a blessing though.  I get to blow out one more candle and that is the true blessing of a birthday ... One.More.Year was given to me!

At 39, I make my own rules, all of course forged by what defines me at 39 ... marriage, motherhood, staying at home, a healthy lifestyle and my own certain passions. I am at the age of so many women I admired during adolescence ... teachers, coaches, guidance counselors, family, and the list could go on.  I am the one making the rules.  There's a comforting certainty to things, just as I'd hoped there would be back in the days.  The order of priorities in my life are ever so clear at 39 ... family, friends (from long time, to mommy friends to more recent ones), and exercise.  The usual monotony of the day, I must say is comforting.   I may shake up the itinerary of my morning few hours (heck I make the rules), but at 11:20 I have two smiling co-pilots waiting on the pick up bench for me and another one at 3:15.  

The very nature of birthdays also makes me reflective, introspective and prospective in such a way.  They seem to connect the dots between where I’ve been and where I ‘m going, yet they make me draw a picture of exactly where I am today, right now.  Reflective ... well, my 20's was consumed with college, grad school and internships, a sort of finding myself and my husband as that goes as well.  Not sure I would want to go back there.  My 30's, all about my children, I mean ALL about them.  I truly live for them and have for 7 plus years.  I do make time for myself, but my "me" time is around my children's schedule not my children's schedule around my "me" time.  I do believe my children's behavior reflects this.  Introspectively ... sure their are some things I would change.  I could stand to lose a pound or two, be a little more patient at times, a little less OCD, but I do know that I am kind, have a big heart, a faithful wife, a good awesome parent, a great friend and will do anything I can for somebody else.  I am committed to anything I put my heart into (yup Lexi is a mini-me), thoughtful and can always be counted on! Prospective ... where will I likely be? Only time will tell, but if my 20's were better than my adolescence, my 30's were better than by 20's well than I can only hope that as I am inching towards 40, it will get even better!  

So what have I learned in my 39 years, what rules have I devised. Treat your kids teachers like they deserve to be treated, after all they are with them more waking hours than you are. Always support friends in any choice THEY make, you are not the one living their life. Keep your kids on a schedule and always make time for your husband.  Splurge on something you love, whether it be shoes, handbags or good food.  Perhaps, a most important ... use good face cream and wear good bras, they are worth the money!

Is "50 the new 40" ... yeah, I will take that ... especially since I am inching ever so close to that big 4-0. Sure I feel great. I work out, maintain a healthy lifestyle, I am frequently mistaken for being younger than I am.  I can surely drink  chug the "50 is the new 40" Kool-aid.  


"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream another dream ... "  C.S. Lewis








 PS - yes, Gavin did give let me look at my his monster truck birthday card and told me I could have ONE sticker from it.  Of course later on he asked for the sticker back!

1 comment:

  1. Now following. I guess I missed the Instagram comment about coming to check this post out but I am now following. We may have similar personalities, but you certainly are a better writer. Splurges, Monster Jam, and fitness - you speak my language. Happy belated birthday! ~ Jen J.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips